The First TradeLab Clinic in the Caribbean Region!
The University of the West Indies Cave Hill (The UWI Cave Hill) is home to one of the newest and the first Tradelab clinic in the Caribbean! TradeLab is a prestigious network of Universities across the world that use the services of law students to provide free legal advice on trade and investment issues to developing country beneficiaries. For more on the Tradelab community, please click here.
In 2018, the SRC and the Faculty of Law of The UWI Cave Hill teamed up to introduce the first such pilot clinic to the Caribbean. The SRC is home to The University of West Indies’ Flagship program, the Masters in International Trade Policy, and is the leading centre devoted to assisting the Caribbean region with issues of international economic law, regionally and on the global front.
We are pleased to announce that following a successful pilot phase in 2018, the UWI Cave Hill Tradelab clinic has moved to full membership of TradeLab.
The Directors of The UWI Trade Lab are Dr. Jan Yves Remy (SRC Director) and Dr. Ronnie Yearwood, Lecturer in the Faculty of Law of The UWI Cave Hill. Dr. Remy was also recently elected to the Executive Committee of TradeLab.
As we embark on our third year of the clinic, we are accepting calls for help from Caribbean beneficiaries who need assistance with a legal trade and investment issue. Please consult the Call for Projects here and contact Dr. Jan Yves Remy or Dr. Ronnie Yearwood for further information.
UWI Tradelab Projects 2020 - 2021
This year’s TradeLab students completed two projects:
- The first project was completed for our client: Barbados Medicinal Cannabis Licensing Authority. The students researched and produced a memorandum entitled “An Assessment of the Intellectual Property Regime for the Medicinal Cannabis Industry in Barbados”: The full report is available here: An Assessment of the Intellectual Property Regime for the Medicinal Cannabis Industry in Barbados.
- The second project was completed for the Caribbean Court of Justice and entailed created a digest of all judgments to date rendered in the Court’s Original Jurisdiction. The Confidential Digest of Cases will be made available on the CCJ website.
UWI Tradelab Projects 2019 - 2020
This year, for the second time, the Cave Hill Campus’ SRC and Faculty of Law teamed up to facilitate the offering of another TradeLab clinic as part of a global network of Universities offering the experience to students and beneficiaries.
This year the students worked on three exciting topics for Caribbean clients namely:
- Tangible and concrete proposals for improving small State participation the context of the reform of the WTO s Dispute Settlement System
- The Application of the ATA Carnet as a potential tool to promote Caribbean exports to Brazil
- A Proposal for a Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement between CARICOM And China
Please click on the links above to access the full reports on the Tradelab website.
The UWI students showcased their projects at the annual TradeLab meeting on Friday 10 July.
Call for Projects
The UWI Trade Lab is requesting calls for projects from Caribbean beneficiaries who need assistance with a legal trade and investment issue. For further information, please consult the Call for Projects by clicking the button below.
About the Pilot Phase - 2018
For the pilot clinic, the Academic Supervisors, Drs. Remy and Yearwood, signed up 9 students to work in groups of three. The teams worked for beneficiaries from the Caribbean region on the following topics:
1. Analysing reform proposals put forth by World Trade Organization (WTO) Members to enhance the organization’s efficiency and functioning;
2. Formulating WTO compliant domestic support options for local manufacturers; and
3. Identifying policy priorities and strategies for the beneficiary to prepare for plurilateral e-commerce negotiations.
The pilot clinic was assisted by mentors: Claude Chase, Zainab Mchumo, Craig VanGrasstek and Mark Wu. Mentors lend invaluable support to TradeLab clinics with their expertise and guidance to students on the project output.
UWI Trade Lab Pilot Clinic Videos
Please see the UWI Tradelab Pilot Clinic videos featuring Dr. Remy and Dr. Yearwood, and UWI participating Law Student, Jacob Phillips below.